The Thoracic Surgery Directors Association (TSDA) was established in 1978 as a membership organization for cardiothoracic surgery residency program directors. TSDA provides resources and networking opportunities for program directors and program coordinators, and supplemental curriculum materials and resources for general surgery and cardiothoracic surgery residents.
The objectives of the TSDA are to:
1. Provide a forum for the interchange of ideas and information relating to the education and training of cardiothoracic surgery residents and fellows;
2. Assist in the identification and solution of educational and administrative problems that may arise in the conduct of cardiothoracic surgery residencies, subspecialty tracks and formal post residency and fellowship programs;
3. Serve as the advocate of resident education in the various professional agencies, boards, councils and committees that influence the specialty of cardiothoracic surgery;
4. Represent the Directors of residencies in cardiothoracic surgery that have been approved by the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). These individuals shall hereinafter be referred to as the Directors;
5. Serve as the administrative sponsor of the Thoracic Surgery Residents Association (TSRA) and ensure resident representation in TSDA activities and;
6. Serve as administrative sponsor to the Thoracic Surgery Residency Coordinators and Administrators Section (TS-RACS) and assure coordinator representation in TSDA activities.